2018 Summer Internship Program
The purpose of the GH Phipps Internship Program is to provide college students with the opportunity to explore the construction industry through a variety of hands on and challenging assignments. The goal of our internship program is to provide college students with valuable work experience, bridging the gap between academic theory and practice. GH Phipps maintains strong relationships with key universities throughout the region and, at regular intervals throughout the year, reviews student resumes for paid internships and entry-level job opportunities.
- Spring, Summer and Fall internships are available in three and six-month durations
- Potential locations include Denver, Colorado Springs, and Ft. Collins, Wyoming or Front Range jobsites
Supervised practice at the work site or in the office in daily operations of construction including:
- Assisting the Engineer and/or the Superintendent in the field through coordination and distribution of information required to construct the project on time, within budget and to quality standard.
- Performing material takeoffs from drawings, specifications and other contract documents
- Performing basic engineering calculations and technical drafting to support field operations
- Assisting Engineers to gather and prepare data for submittal or transmittal to the customer, vendors, subcontractors, governmental agencies, and internal use
- Assisting in preparation of purchase orders and subcontracts, performing minor solicitations and purchasing as requested
- Assisting in schedule maintenance and performing updates as directed by others
- Assisting in the maintenance of basic project recordkeeping and correspondence functions including daily reports, photographs, requests for information (RFIs), and memorandums
- Assisting with entering data into the job cost system and participate in reviewing cost reports with jobsite management
- Assisting in generating change orders and as-built data to be reviewed by the Project Manager
- Providing field support and supervise subcontractor operations
- Assisting in interpretation of drawings and specifications for field crews and craft supervision
- Performing quantity calculations by taking measurements and determining percentage of completed/installed materials and work
- Assisting in the preparation of work plans and work packages
- Assisting in field surveying and work layout support including elevation, control points, and compilation of as-built data
- Assisting in compiling, processing, and confirming daily labor timesheets
- Assisting in the preparation of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s)
- Participating in jobsite safety reviews, toolbox meetings, mass safety meetings, and safety training
- Ordering and schedule material deliveries
- Planning, scheduling, and coordinating work groups on the jobsite
- Supervise field operations
*May perform other duties as necessary or required.
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in construction management, engineering or related degree required
- Industry experience with a General Contractor or in the construction field with the ability to understand project owner specifications, engineering drawings, project scheduling, and cost controls preferred
- Strong technology skills; Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Adobe/Bluebeam
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, planning and time management skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to recognize discrepancies
- Dependable, results-focused and ethical
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Involvement in community, student association &/or extracurricular activities preferred
- Knowledge of construction safety and current federal & OSHA requirements is preferred
- The ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
- Successful completion of post-offer background & drug screens
GH Phipps Construction Companies
One of the largest, most successful construction companies in the Colorado region, GH Phipps is known for its work in the healthcare, education, civic, science and technology, religious and commercial arenas. Our clients expect buildings they’ll be proud to own – and we’ll be proud to claim the fingerprints we’ve left on them.
At GH Phipps, who we are is the key to what we do and how we do it. GH Phipps is about genuine people making genuine progress: We do what we say we’ll do, and we live the concept of teamwork. Today, more than three-fourths of our business comes from repeat clients, who know that our employee-owners are responsible for upholding a tradition of excellence, accountability and integrity. After all, we’ve been building Colorado’s skyline – and long-term client relationships -- since 1952.
Over GH Phipps's first decade, we have grown to establish an office in Fort Collins, Colorado and two offices in Laramie and Sheridan, Wyoming.
Some of the most notable awards we have won include:
- 2016 Associated General Contractors National Award for Construction Safety Excellence for General Contractor in the 400,000 to 600,000 Hours Category (Silver)
- 2015 Associated General Contractors of Colorado Project of the Year (Under $10 Million), General Contractor
Denver Botanic Gardens Science Pyramid
- 2015 AIA Colorado Design Awards, Merit Award
State Capitol Dome Restoration
- 2015 ENR Mountain States Overall Best Regional Project, and First Place Finalist in the Cultural/Worship category
Denver Botanic Gardens Science Pyramid
We have been ranked #8 on 2015 list of top Front Range general contractors from The Denver Business Journal.
We have also been ranked #269 on the list of Top 400 Contractors by ENR.
Company Website: ghphipps.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)